My interests focus on the environmental and personal factors that influence empathic processes (perspective taking, empathic concern, and empathic accuracy), with a focus on parental and medical caregivers. A specific interest of mine is understanding how empathic tendencies influence caregivers' likelihood of experiencing burnout and distress, and whether interventions to maintain empathic functioning over time could benefit the well-being of caregivers as well as the recipients of their care. I am currently studying empathic functioning and outcomes in medical students and mothers of young children in adverse environmental contexts.
- Communication, Language
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Carlisle, R., Tsang, J., Ahmad, N.Y., Worthington, E., Van Oyen Witvliet, C., Wade, N. (2012). The differential effects of restitution and apology on behavioral and self-reported forgiveness. Journal of Positive Psychology, 7(4), 294-305. DOI: 10.1080/17439760.2012.690444
- Batson, C.D., Ahmad, N.Y., & Tsang, J.-A. (2001). Four Motives for Community Involvement. Journal of Social Issues, 58(3), 429-445. DOI:10.1111/1540-4560.00269
- Batson, C. D., & Ahmad, N. Y. (2009). Using empathy to improve intergroup attitudes and relations. Social Issues and Policy Review, 3(1), 141-177.
- Ahmad, N.Y., & Farrell, M.H. (2014). Linguistic markers of emotion in mothers of sickle cell carrier infants: What are they and what do they mean? Patient Education & Counseling, 94(1), 128–133. DOI: 10.1016/j.pec.2013.09.021
- Batson, C. D., Ahmad, N., Powell, A. A., & Stocks, E. L. (2007). Prosocial motivation. In J. Shah & W. Gardner (Eds.), Handbook of Motivation Science (pp. 135-149). New York: Guilford.
- Batson, C. D., Ahmad, N., & Stocks, E. L. (2010). Four forms of prosocial motivation: Egoism, altruism, collectivism, and principlism. In D. Dunning (Ed.), Social Motivation. New York: Psychology Press.
Nadia Y. Ahmad
Department of Family and Community Medicine
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226